Military Life is full of adventures and if we’re honest, complications. In addition to normal life changes: marriage, a baby, divorce, sending a kid to college, you may have taken on moving, deployments, or become an accidental landlord. In 2020, COVID added many new complications to all our lives including taxes. Read more in 2020 Taxes: 2 Warnings & 3 Resources to Help You File – Better Financial Counseling Network
All these events can complicate your taxes. Fortunately, the military has stood up a tax time resource to help military (active duty, guard and reserve) members and their spouses at tax time through Military OneSource.
First of all, Military OneSource, is your “24/7 connection to information, answers and support to help you reach your goals, overcome challenges and thrive. As a member of our military family, you are eligible to use this Department of Defense-funded program anytime, anywhere.” Source: About Us | Military OneSource
Free Tax Help offered by MilTax, Military OneSource:
- Free Tax Prep and Filing Software: MilTax preparation and e-filing software is available January 19 through mid-October. Powered by an industry-leading tax service provider, it’s designed to address situations specific to the military.
- Connect With Military Tax Consultants: MilTax consultants are specially trained to help with unique tax situations specific to service members and their families. Reach out 24/7 to schedule a consultation. You can also get in-person support at a Volunteer Income Tax Support Assistance, or VITA, office location.
- Source: MilTax: Free Military Tax Return Preparation Services & Filing | Military OneSource
When can you file your taxes? The IRS is accepting returns for the 2020 Tax Year, beginning February 12, 2021. However, the Military OneSource MilTax support services have begun, so you can get started on your return today.
Ready to take control of your finances? Create a debt pay-off plan? Save for the Future? Contact Us Today (Really, there’s not a better time.)
Want to read more about Taxes?
- Learn why E-File may be your best friend this tax year: 2020 Taxes: 2 Warnings & 3 Resources to Help You File – Better Financial Counseling Network
- More 2020 Tax Issues: Rebate Recovery Credit and new Charitable Contribution Deduction: 2020 and Your Federal Tax Return – Better Financial Counseling Network
- Taxes: Tips and Red Flags when Choosing a Professional (Coming Soon)